FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Here are the frequently asked questions by Visitors and here we’ve tried to write up a comprehensive list of answers to questions. Before making us a general inquiry please read this page carefully along with our trekking, travelling, photography information on this pages and saves the time.
WHY SHOULD I VISIT INDIA?
Affordability, friendly People, Ease of Communication and Something for Everyone. India is considered one of the top 15 most affordable destinations in the world. Indians are very friendly and enjoy engaging with foreigners. Most Indians can speak at least conversational English and internet/Wi-Fi/cell service is widely available. India offers history, culture, architecture, adventure, Yoga, Ayurveda, cuisine, beaches, Himalayas, wildlife, backwaters, shopping, festivals, music, dancing, religion and spirituality – just to name a few!
WHAT IS THE MOST APPROPRIATE TYPE OF LUGGAGE TO BRING?
We strongly recommend bringing a backpack or duffel bag, as suitcases can be cumbersome and difficult to store in buses, under seats, etc.. Keep in mind that you will normally have to carry your own luggage on and off buses and trains and up and down hotel staircases. Suitcases with wheels may not work well on dirt or cobblestone roads.
WHERE TO GO IN INDIA?
One of the first questions that leaves most travelers looking to visit India puzzled is, where all should we go in India? It is hard to give a brief answer to that question. It will help you understand which regions are popular, which are not as touristy and delights and challenges of the said regions, The popular, (but, rightly so) regions :
- Rajasthan with stunning forts and palace, national parks where one can spot a tiger, the endless desert and charming (many very affordable) heritage hotels.
- Himachal Pradesh and Uttarakhand are reachable from Delhi. Both states have innumerable multi day trekking routes. One even look at relaxed mountain stays, soaking the surrounding and going on day hikes.
- Sikkim another tiny, but beautiful Himalayan state in the North – Eastern part of India. Strong Buddhist influences with remarkable monasteries.
- Goa with warm beaches all winter long, Portuguese influences, lush green countryside, delicious Indian and international food (lots of seafood) and nightlife for the younger travelers.
- Leh and Ladakh, accessible only between late June to mid-October, Leh and Ladakh is a part of the high Tibetean Plateau. One can do a trekking holiday or just a sight-seeing and relaxing holiday.
- Kerala, hills with spice and tea plantations, backwaters, rainforests, balmy beaches and fabulous food all in one small state. Lovely traditional hotels/ houseboats and innumerable homestays.
- Tamil Nadu a state in south India that neighbors Kerala receives a lot less tourists than its neighbor. Home to stunning temple complexes (tens of centuries old), it also shares the hills with Kerala and has lovely hill stations and national parks.
- Karnataka is a state above Kerala. It is home to the Unesco World Heritage town Hampi, endless coffee plantations and forest stays. Mysore is a convenient drive from the city of Bangalore.
ANY COMMUNICATION PROBLEMS, IF I ONLY SPEAK ENGLISH?
Although there are more than 400 languages and dialects spoken in India, English is one of the 22 official languages: it's widely spoken in all the big cities, so communicating with locals, hotel staff, and tour operators should pose no problem. If you're traveling in more rural areas, where the language barrier might be challenging, it can't hurt to keep a Hindi phrase book handy.
Few interesting things shared as follows :
- Travellers whose sole objective of visiting India is recreation, sight seeing, casual visit to meet friends or relatives, short duration medical treatment or casual business visit.
- Passport should have at least six months validity from the date of arrival in India. The passport should have at least two blank pages for stamping by the Immigration Officer.
- Travellers should have return ticket or onward journey ticket, with sufficient money to spend during his/her stay in India.
- Not available to Diplomatic/Official Passport Holders and available to individuals endorsed on Parents/Spouses Passport i.e. each individual should have a separate passport.
- Not available to International Travel Document Holders.
WHAT SHOULD I PACK?
It all depends on your destination and season of travel. Much of India has a patchy climate: warmer in the days and cooler in the evenings. A light jacket or layering is best to accommodate the varying temperatures. Also, we suggest shoes that are comfortable for walking, including sandals and tennis shoes. A head cover may be required for women and men at certain sacred sites and places of worship.
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST TO TRAVEL IN INDIA?
India as a country entertains travelers with different budgets and it can please all pockets. Accommodation can range from simple backpacker dorms to incredible high-end hotels, and some very interesting mid range hotel options. Most importantly you can find delicious meals that fill your stomach but do not empty your wallet. And internal travel is not very expensive either.
WHY DID THE FARE CHANGE AT PURCHASE TIME?
Trip uses a real-time reservation database, the same used by travel agents worldwide that lists actual ticket prices and availability. As airlines fill flights or change fares, the database immediately reflects those changes. Always be sure to double-check prices when reserving or purchasing tickets, as the fare may have changed since you first searched for fares or created your itinerary.
HOW DO YOU SEND OUT TRAVEL DOCUMENTATION?
All documentation can be retrieved via Sherpa. When all payment and required passenger details have been received you can request your final vouchers via Sherpa. They will be posted on Sherpa no later than one business day from the time of request.
WHY IS IMPORTANT TO BUY TRAVEL INSURANCE?
Who needs travel insurance and how do the plans work? Why is it important to buy travel insurance? What will Travelex Insurance Services offer in their plans and how will I learn of my coverage before I travel? If you have general questions about travel insurance plans and specifically our products, keep reading below to capture a general understanding of how Travelex Insurance Services can help you. This is a general explanation of benefits; certain conditions and limitations may apply as outlined in the Description of Coverage. If you require further clarification or have more questions, please contact customer service.
WHAT DOES TRAVEL INSURANCE COVER?
Travel insurance can provide benefits for a number of situations that may occur before your during your trip, including:
- Trip Cancellation Protection
- Trip Interruption Protection
- Lost, Stolen, Delayed Baggage Coverage
- Emergency Medical/Dental Coverage
- Travel Delay Coverage
- Emergency Medical Transportation
- Missed Connection Coverage
- MRental Car Damage Protectiont
IS INDIA A SAFE COUNTRY?
For its size, India has a very low crime rate and is generally a safe country. However, as with any international travel, please be aware of your surroundings. Always make sure your purse is zipped and wallets are in sealed pockets. In the markets, be vigilant of pick-pockets and distraction scams. Additionally, at the train/bus stations and airports, monitor your luggage at all times.
WHEN IS THE BEST TIME TO TRAVEL?
It really depends on your destination, activities and season of travel. In much of Northern and Central India, the favored time to visit is from October – March, when the weather is most mild. In Southern and Eastern India, it is contingent on the monsoon season. Our destination specialists will recommend certain travel times after learning more about your preferences.
About the author
Andy Rawat Very passionate about visual design. I'm enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. The point is when I see a sunset, waterfall or something, for a split second it's so great, bcoj a little bit I'm out of my brain. And I wonder if I can somehow find a way to maintain that mind stillness.